Monday, July 19, 2010

Harper's Half Birthday

6 months ago today, on January 19, I remember waking James up to tell him I was having contractions and that I was going to take a warm shower to relax but not to worry. And then when I told him he should probably get ready to go to the hospital he insisted on taking a shower too. As we drove to the hospital through the frozen fog at 3:30 in the morning, I don't think either of us knew what to expect. I remember calling our families on our way to the hospital telling them not to hurry, it will probably be hours before anything happens and we would call them later. In the back of my mind, I thought I would be sent home and we would come back the next day for my scheduled induction. Thankfully, they got ready and headed to the hospital.

Shortly after we arrived at the hospital (45 minutes later), Harper was born and we began our journey as a family of 3. It was love at first sight. I studied her features while she slept, instead of sleeping myself-I didn't want to miss a thing. A yawn, opening of her eyes, her adorable stretches, and the infamous 'Harper Dance'. I couldn't take my eyes off her. At that moment I knew my life had been changed forever.

What a ride the past 6 months have been. We've had sleepless nights, 3 am car rides when nothing else would calm her down, a memorable road trip to Kansas City to meet Uncle Jon and Cousin Bella, our first Valentines Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, 4th of July among other holidays, visits from wonderful friends and family, play dates, and many firsts-first snow storm, first smile, first bottle, first diaper explosion, first time holding her head up, first laugh, first time rolling over, first taste of rice cereal. Every day for the past 6 months has been a first and just when I think I can't possibly love her any more, I do. I'm having so much fun watch her grow and develop, I wish I knew what she was thinking sometimes. Like the other day, she was perfectly content looking at her hands for 15 minutes. She would touch her fingers together and look at the front and back of her hands and slowly bring them to her mouth and back out again. I'm so proud of all that she has accomplished in her first 6 months of life.

Being a mommy so far has been beyond my expectations. We have been blessed with such a wonderful baby. Harper, I love you and I am so thankful God gave you to us! "Every good and perfect gift is from above." James 1:17.

Beautiful memories from 6 months ago today...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment